When I was a kid there used to be signs on roads that had no way out. They were called Dead Ends. No one really questioned them. They were what they seemed - Dead Ends. But then someone, probably someone who lived down a Dead End, started thinking about what it meant to live there, and how it made them feel. So they changed the sign - now they read - Not A Through Street. Small change, but significant.
It's hard sometimes to see where things are going. When you look around it seems like you really are, on a Dead End street. And more than that, it seems like the car is wrecked, the road is abandoned, it's night and your cell phone is dead. You want to spend your time thinking about how you got there, what mistakes were made, and how you could have made better choices. It's easy at this moment to blame. But in then end, you're there, make the best of it. Don't get stuck in the past - live for the moment. My suggestion, get out of your wrecked car, use your feet, take a walk and enjoy the night air. You can't change your immediate circumstances, just learn from it, and find something about the moment to enjoy.
Times like these are hard. They are the most challenging of our lives. When things seem the darkest and the most desperate. Here's the thing - it's from these moments that we gain our most understanding, strength and clarity for times to come. It's not easy to accept our circumstances, but to be angry and resentful does nothing to solve it. It only makes it worse. It's a waste of energy.
That, is the true Dead End.
Thursday, May 29
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I totally agree. During those times the most difficutlt thing to do is make a decision. The scariest time is the time between when you're at your dead end and when you move. It's that moment in time when you realize that you need to keep moving forward. You see the wreck you're in and your unhappiness, you see the road ahead, unknown, and daunting. You are left with two choices, wallow in your misery because you're scared, or move forward because, in your gut, you know that anything else is better than where you are right now. In the end WE choose if we want to move on and be happy.
Well, you aren't my official teacher anymore, yet you continue to teach me.
Amanda
I agree with the person that posted above me. You truly are a great teacher. There is no doubt about that. I want to thank you so much for the wonderful experiences that I had in the three classes I had with you. I will continue to check your blog for more fantastic teaching moments like this post contained. Thank you.
Yeah i agree with Megan. I'm really going to miss your classes. I love the way you teach. So i will be looking for updates on here as well. Have a good summer Mr. McKell. Thank you for everything you've done for me and taught me.
It is a pleasure to have taught you all. I know it's lame when the teacher says "you all taught me" but dang it - in my case it was true. You were all so amazing. Thank you for the opportunity to teach you and to be taught by you.
Post a Comment