Imagine your life as a river.
It flows ever onward; moving as it will, avoiding obstacles when it can, collecting speed sometimes, slowing down others; it varies between narrow and wide, deep and shallow, clear and murky. When obstacles are unavoidable there are rapids. We have little control over where it goes, the speed of the flow, its width, depth or clarity. We are only a passenger upon it.
Why then, do we insist on always fighting against it? Why are we not satisfied with our lives? Why do we wish for something deeper, shallower, clearer, slower or faster - whatever isn't happening at the time? Why do girls with blond hair wish for brown; why do boys with less muscles want more? Why do we wish for things we don't have? Why aren't we satisfied with our lives? Why are we constantly fighting against the current?
When was the last time you enjoyed the scenery passing you by on the banks of the river? When was the last time you stopped and found something beautiful? Something wonderful? Something amazing or exciting or breathtaking or perfect in your life?
When was the last time you gave a thought to where your food comes from? Or how many people in the world are without a refrigerator? Have you been excited lately because you're allowed to go to school? When was the last time you learned something for the thrill of learning? Why are we always fighting against the current of our lives?
Take a moment for yourself. Find a place. Somewhere quiet and comfortable. Somewhere that fits you. Then get comfortable and just... breathe. Just breathe. Breathe deeply in... count to ten as you do it. Hold it. Count to ten as you hold it. Breathe out. Count to ten as you do it.
Close your eyes. Listen to everything. Let the sounds wash over you. Enjoy the scenery passing by. Appreciate the rapids, the clarity, the narrowness, the obstacles - whatever may be happening in your life right now - just appreciate it. Everything that is happening right now, in the river of your life, will help your further on down the stream. Enjoy it now. Use what you've learned to appreciate what you've got.
Stop fighting the current and enjoy the ride. Because in the end, you can't stop what's happening around you - you can only change your own behavior, your own attitude, your own perspective. Just take a moment and breathe. Smile. And breathe.
Monday, September 10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I really love to wonder at the sky. Every time I walk outside I stop and stare above me. I could stay there for hours, day and night. I love the clouds even when it's not sunset. Gray clouds are just as beautiful as purple ones. I even love when there are no clouds. My favorite is when my sky is loaded with the darkest and moodiest and most dramatic rain clouds imaginable. I find myself envying the airplanes and helicopters that pass above me. When I was flying home from my cruise and I looked out my window, the heavenly clouds just took my breath away. I know that if I could, I would go up into the clouds and into space to find solace and comfort. The sky is my source of wonder.
Post a Comment